Exciting times.


The ideas, thoughts and actions in life are just like riding Skyline at Storm-Lo: find the flow and enjoy the ride!

SingleSpyder.

dilluns, d’abril 04, 2011

Vallromanes-Monserrat Introduction to 29er

I knew how important Monserrat is for the Catalan culture. When I heard this was the destination I was both excited and honoured to be part of this important ride. This journey would be something important, special and new. I have ridden many routes and for distances greater but the difference with this journey was the destination and the mountain bike I would be using.
Marcal had explained how he asked Bicioci to help with a bike for me. I would have a Niner m.c.r.9 (Magic Carpet Ride) steel geared 29er. I have never rode a 29er before this would be my first time. I saw the bike and first impressions were good. We fixed the pedals swapped the brakes around and set up the forks to suit me on the friday night. With the bike ready it was back to vallomanes for a sleep before the journey.

The 29er Revolution begins for me.
We met the others roughly 30 other riders who we would join on this epic journey of MTB and Culture. Vallromanes town square was the meeting point just after 7am. With everyone ready we were off. Starting on roads gave me time to settle into the ride. Getting a feel for the bike pedaling a 29er is like pedaling any other bike at first I didnt feel any difference. When we reached the first off road section it was then I could feel the difference. This was a hardtail and although the route was rough and full of stones the bike rolled across it with ease. The 29er wheels made rolling across the stones very fast. The route we would take was mainly on double track sandy lanes, small single track sections and roads. There was nothing technical about this route. The bike felt really good for this type of ride. Once I got a feel for the handling I got more comfortable as the day went on. The downhill sections felt o.k. but turning was very different. I wouldnt be as confident on this bike on technical downhill single track. They are not built for that anyway and why this bike was perfect for todays ride. The climbs felt good and it didnt mater what rough ground we covered the bike flew across it with ease. When we reached Monistrol de Montserrat I was told it was 10km to the monastary. 10km uphill with no stops. I was feeling good but very warm. The ride up the hill was good and on reaching the monastary I felt a great sense of achievement. The view from here was amazing. A very special ride for me on a special bike.
After a long day in the saddle I got to like this bike more and more. For a XC bike I would consider owning one of these bikes. Would it take the place of my 26 Trek? Not at this time. Maybe in the future when I start to slow down and take it easy. My riding style does not suit the 29er and I think I would break it too soon.

Thanks to Trinxacadenes MTB Vallromanes for the welcome.

Thanks also to Bicioci for the great 29er. This was a perfect bike for this type of ride. I was very impressed with your kindness in offering me the bike.

Thanks to Carol and Marcal for the memorable weekend.

Videos coming soon.......

4 comentaris:

  1. Nice experience Michael, you stepped on my backyard, as Montserrat is just seating in front of were I was living. A nice countryside, a nice ride up to the monastery...last picture is just great :)

    ResponElimina
  2. Michael, thank you for your patience.
    Indeed, Saturday was not a "perfect" mtb raid, but we are proud of your achievement, go to Montserrat by bicycle from Vallromanes, it is not easy...
    We know that you have understood to mean Montserrat for us.
    We promise you many singletrack in June!!!

    ResponElimina
  3. Una aventura, no per la ruta en si, sí pel seu significat.

    Una escalada de Monistrol a Montserrat fins a posar la nostra ma a sobre de l'Univers de la ma de La Moreneta (XII), memorable.

    La Mare de Déu de Montserrat (880),la nostra patrona, la patrona de Catalunya (1881).

    Una experiència la de dissabte repetida, repetible.

    MTB, MTB, MTB.

    ResponElimina
  4. Xavi it was a beautiful place and one I will be returning too soon. Would love to do some climbing there too now that I see so many climbing routes.

    ResponElimina