Exciting times.


The ideas, thoughts and actions in life are just like riding Skyline at Storm-Lo: find the flow and enjoy the ride!

SingleSpyder.

dimecres, d’octubre 14, 2009

I'm back on the Bike





Hola – Hello
I have been off the bike for over 2 months due to training for the Marathon. I completed the marathon in 4hrs32:33. You can see my Blog http://causewaymarathon.blogspot.com/

The Night Ride (29.3Km)
Last night and only three days after completing the marathon I decided to hook up the lights and go for a night ride. I checked the lights only to find they weren’t charged. At this stage I had already changed into my riding gear. The sky was clear and the Moon was giving a bit of light so I decided to put on the head torch and head out anyway. I started on roads through the city warming up. I headed down to the River Lagan that flows through Belfast. There is a series of walking paths and a tow path that runs along the banks of the river. I stick to the gravel paths as there is a nice section of climbs and descents. Nothing major just bumps really, followed by a steep set of steps. Across the a footbridge and into the forest and single track trails. I turned on the head torch and realised just how little light it provided. I followed this trail in reverse and climbed it. The ground surface through this forest trail is mainly wet earth topped with pine needles. The majority of the trails surface has been eroded away leaving the roots from the trees as a slippy technical part of climbing this short trail. After the short climb I got to the start of a small technical decent. Very narrow trail starting with a hard gravel top changing to forest surface very wet and slippery. The trail isn’t very long but a mix of bumps, berms and roots keep you in concentration. I turn a corner were there was a very wet section only to find a small bit of north shore built by the trail fairy’s. This is a much needed addition to this trail as it keeps things flowing. Down a few tight corners and onto the “LOG” (Pictured above) this is a skinny made from about three large pine trees. It only sits about 1 foot off the ground but in the dark it seemed a lot higher. The center bounces so a mixture of balance and composure is needed to make it to the end. I come to the end of the forest and back onto the tow path. The night sky is bright and I am well warmed at this stage. A drink of water from the hydration pack and off I go again. A short wood with a very dry bumpy surface. This trail surface is mainly roots soft pine needles. This follows along the side of the River Lagan. I cross the tow path and follow this for about 1km. Turning back onto single track and through a wood. This trail is long but very smooth and not technical. I pick up the speed and feel the adrenaline of not knowing what is in front of me. At the end of this trail I am back onto the tow path and follow this to a footbridge that takes me across the Lagan and onto a road. The road is a country road with no street lighting so I pick up the pace to get off it with my limited lighting. Turning right onto a single track through some farmland I am glad to be off a small but busy road. The next section is a mix of grass surface followed by a hard packed earth. The trail follows the outside of some fields to the Giants Ring. (Pictured above) Around this grassy fort I am back onto roads for a short blast before turning back onto a dirt track. This track leads to an off camber bit of single track through a wood. A fast decent through the trees back to the road. Straight across the road and onto a gravel trail that follows the river back on the opposite side I came on the outward ride. I back track along some trails from earlier. Riding them a faster this time as I have more confidence in the surface and my eyes are starting to adapt to the darkness. I follow a gravel forest trail for about 4km until I reach the footbridge again. After the footbridge I turn right and follow a grassy trail along the banks of the river before joining the tow path. From here it is tow path back into the city. A nice ride along the street lights and a calm river. I get back onto the road and follow it through the city centre to home.

4 comentaris:

  1. Un genet Irlandès que porta un Drac que treu foc per a marcar les rutes en la foscor de la nit.

    Bona ruta, millor genet.

    Cròniques com aquesta fan gran aquest espai!!!.

    ResponElimina
  2. Està clar, la passió per la bike existeix a tots els indrets, son els genets els que junt amb els seus Dracs fan que les sortides siguin aventures interessants.
    De totes maneres, jo un marató no el podria fer,menys en aquest temps. felicitats

    ResponElimina
  3. Congratulations Michael, nice comments, nice return, nice blog, you are the greatest new of this blog

    Saldos

    ResponElimina
  4. Thanks for the kind words guys. I hope this is the sort of thing you want in the blog. I sometimes tend to write a lot and it puts of some readers.

    ResponElimina