Exciting times.


The ideas, thoughts and actions in life are just like riding Skyline at Storm-Lo: find the flow and enjoy the ride!

SingleSpyder.

dimecres, de març 18, 2015

Waterfalls ...

Waterfalls

Last Sunday was a perfect day to ride, sunny and warm, ready for St. Patrick's Day ... the Ireland guys were everywhere, most of them having some beers, I decided to drive to DuPont Forest in NC.


Love the roads in the NC mountains

Dupont Forest is an interesting place, it's been on the MTB magazines different times as one of the top destinations on the SE, located in the western NC mountains, close to Ashville NC and Greenville SC can attract people from both states, but also some northern guys looking for warm weather at the end of their winters.

In DuPont Forest you can find a mix of hikers, runners, MTBikers and also just families looking for some fresh water and a nice wild space. Sometimes it's crowded, but worth a visit. If you're just curious about click the attached website http://www.dupontforest.com.


Bridal Veil Falls

I arrived there around 11am, parking lot was pretty full, but I was able to find a spot. On my left side a car with some German guys living in Aiken SC, on the back a minivan with 6 people from Ontario (Canada). Was interesting to see the different set-ups, the young German guys with their enduro double suspension (Pivot, Trek, Trek, Trek, ...) wide pants and T-shirts, ready for jumps. The Canadiens were all about racing, fast and light carbon fiber bikes, top of the art components (Specialized, Scott, Cannondale,...) all them with bib shorts and racing apparel, I later discover they were from the Ontario racing team.

I was there too, the crazy Catalan with a FatBike, no fork, aluminum frame, and my new Castelli equipment...funny though nobody was asking about their bikes, or frames, but all of them came to ask me about my El Gordo ... I love it, it was clearly the singularity there.

I started my ride on the parking that has access to Covered Bridge trail, this is a wide gravel road that gets you closer to High Falls, an spectacular waterfall it's been captured in numerous videos and pictures. From that point I moved towards the south of the park, to arrive to Bridal Veil falls, another spot it's worth a visit, both pictured in the movie The Last of the Mohicans https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_of_the_Mohicans_(1992_film)#Locations.


Covered Bridge


 El Gordo in Bridal Veil Falls
 
Once you leave Bridal Veil, there is not a lot of options as you have to ride back some of the same trial, but one facing west is especially nice, a tight and cornering one called Corn Mill Shoals that later turn into Barn Trail, a mix of forest and finally open area once you arrive to the barn.

 
Corn Mill Shoals



Barn Trail


From Barn Trail you basically have to go east to look again for the main gravel road "Conservation Road", then north to look again for some nice trails, before you arrive to Three Lakes Trail, you cross the bridge over Little River, once this is done the trail is on your left with a very narrow entrance that clearly tells you this is going to be fun.
 
The trail is similar to all others in DuPont, tree roots, some big stones and basically a 3 feet wide trail with twist, corners and some wavy areas ... perfect place to have fun. When I was there the Canadian crew came on the opposite direction, I stop to allow them to pass, they were really fast and clean, no dirt jumps.


Little River

 
Lake Julia view from the Three Lakes Trail


Lake Dense

Three Lakes melts into Pitch Pine Trail, and this one goes back to the main gravel road close to Covered Bridge, true there is plenty of other options, but I have to explore the forest deeply to feel comfortable to go alone far away of the main areas.
 
When you arrive to the main gravel road, there is a need to visit the main falls, the ones are widely famous, High and Triple Falls. These two spots deserve you leave the bike on the side and try to walk to the base, I have been there plenty of times hiking with the family, and the overwhelming feeling of being in front of a nature beauty it's always on my mind. As I said these where locations used on "The Last of the Mohicans" movie, but also other movies, like recently "The Hunger Games" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunger_Games_(film)#Filming.
 
This section is a small loop but it's where you will find the stiffest ramps, this is not a small trail, maybe a 10 feet wide mini gravel road, mainly used to access the falls by lots of people on the weekends, but something looks easy walking gets some times complicated on the bike, especially with a 1x10 with a 32 in the front, thanks good I have the x10 on the rear derailleur, not sure how I will be doing on a SS.


High Falls  


The Scorpion is back ... new Castelli bibs


Triple Falls ... just amazing !!!!

The climb from Triple Falls is a good test for where I'm physically, but also how the bike feels, and to be honest, I like the rigid feeling, it's the same I got on the past with my F3000 when I was able to completely block my lefty fork and get this rigid position, no energy is lost on suspension systems, no extra weight it's carried, it's a great feeling, and I like this so far. My Ibis is asking my why I don't love her anymore, why I change my mind ... tough times for the Mojo, but maybe my son will pick her up again.

From Greenville SC, looking to the north ... Waterfalls !!!!

2 comentaris:

  1. Colors Castelli, colors Ventana, el Primer Ministre imprescindible a aquest espai, amb la seva Coca Cola de matinada centrant els temes.

    Xavi, quina bike, quin equipament, OMG, OMG, OMG.

    Té el logo connotacions d'indiana Jones, té la Ventana connotacions molt especials pels components d'aquest blog, HM, rígida, FAT, quina unió, per favor.

    Els dos Dracs descansen al Mirador del Drac, el tercer Drac descansa proper a terres a on a casa hem fet Les Amèriques, catalans fent Les Amèriques el XIX, ell XX, i ara el XXI, OMG.

    Quedo en silenci, tranquil, content, MTB, MTB, MTB.

    ResponElimina
  2. El Drac funciona de mil meravellas ... more to come !!!!

    ResponElimina